Zoom Links for TI of Natick

Monday, February 1, 2016

Grade 5. Kitah hey. February 1, 2016

Hi all!

Wow, what an amazing day we had yesterday!
I came home all smiles.........I hope my students did too.......?!?

We began our day with a breakfast of square cereal (Chex), and a short discussion of the Torah portion, yitro. Yitro was Moses father-in-law.  In this portion, the Torah was revealed to the children of israel at mount Sinai.  Perhaps you  heard about our discussions of  redemption and revelation leading up to this.

This was followed by tefillot and songs with Robin and cantor Ken.
I love our tefillot time.  
We are bonding as a school community.   
Your children are exposed to this very important piece of our Judaism. 
Even when they are old, they will remember simply because they have been exposed.  
I am speaking from experience.  
What we don't necessarily appreciate when we are very young, we come to value, love and cherish later on in years.

Back in the classroom, we asked what is Jewish about squares..... We sang the song, ופרצת״".
In our Torah, we are told the children of israel will be spread out to all the corners of the world.......
         ימה וקדמה צפונה ונגבע  (north south east west...)
Students are always surprised that there are Jewish people everywhere!
During the shema prayer, the fringes of the tallit are held......all four corners.  

We worked on reading and chanting parts of the Torah 

My grandson owned the book series, "I survived".
I borrowed the book from him and brought in "I Survived the Nazi invasion".
I was amazed at how much our children knew about the holocaust.  It was not even in the curriculum yet.....
The class was totally silent as I began to read.
They didn't want me to stop.  You could hear a pin drop!

During our midweek classes, we completed the movie, "the lorax".
We shared our thoughts and messages within the movie.

"Since the industrial revolution, 50% of our forests are gone.  We cannot continue this way. 
This is not sustainable."


Cindy







No comments:

Post a Comment